A billion people died on the news tonight/But not so many cried at the terrible sight/ Well mama said/
It's just make believe/You can't believe everything you see/ So baby close your eyes to the lullabies/On the news tonight

Thursday, December 30, 2004

I will run to the Altar, and catch the fire, to stand in the gap between the living and the dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4132725.stm

The death toll is nearing 100 000. The aid is not successfully reaching the remote areas. A widespread disease looms over the survivors. This is not one of the best days in this year.

God, how many more Matthew 24:7s are we going to meet? How much more pain can we cope with? How much more grief can we withstand? The more grief, the more pain, the more we must preach to the nations.

Sometimes I rather be one of those who are swept away than those who have not known Him. For the moment of death is painful, but the eternity after is worse. However, I admit. I'm a coward. I dare not face death personal to me.

I want to go and help, to help distribute the food, to help make things better. Seated in the office with air-con and free drinks and a games room to relax seem so irrelevant to life now. I wonder how much bottled water did F&N donate? Or if Hyflux or Osim or OTO donated a water putrification machine? What are these companies doing? Why am I so helpless to make them contribute? Whatever I can contribute, I would. I'm so tempted to just take the boxes and boxes of mineral water in the pantry and send it to the Sri Lankan High Commission, but I can't. The order of life must still be obeyed, it seems.

What can I do? Besides asking for donations of cash and in-kind, I can't seem to do anything else, but to pray. And pray I will. And I hope you will too.

I am not a very good Christian, I have my struggles. But I know some things are true.

God is.

Comments on "I will run to the Altar, and catch the fire, to stand in the gap between the living and the dead."

 

post a comment

Neko