A billion people died on the news tonight/But not so many cried at the terrible sight/ Well mama said/
It's just make believe/You can't believe everything you see/ So baby close your eyes to the lullabies/On the news tonight

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Cross-Legged on the Grass - Ana Garza

Till now, my muse Failure has taught me
how to cling with my fists to the ever loosening
skin of the earth, curving down from the hem of my skirt,
my legs folded under, a paper bag

beside my knee. Till now, she has been
the one sharing my meal: tap water
in a dented plastic bottle, cold Chinese noodles,
an apple lifted slyly from a shelf

of damaged things. Till now, she has been
the one to chatter endlessly about physics: curvature
and motion, momentum, inertia, the certitude
that all bodies that cling to convex surfaces must slide,
the inevitability of rest. She has

sipped from me through the water bottle
at my lips, spoken
to me, leaned forward like the hollow rush inside
the bottle, the sound I hear in dreams about slipping off

all surfaces and burning to a cloud before the muscles
drop into airless space. “If you lie back,”

she says, “tip,” she says,
“your shoulders, arc

your hips to make your body the true meniscus

of space,” she breathes, “and if
you tense the tendons behind your knees to shape
the fungus by your wrists, if you regulate
your breathing so the outline of your belly forms
the seal between the sky and you,
and if the tightness of the water closes
at your neck exactly where the skin above your shoulders flutters,

contoured like your throat--then you can draw
your mouth into an undulating song and, singing,
never sink into the wet or slide.

"Or slide.” And she sighs,
the smell of plastic and of chlorinated drink
spilling on my skirt, my fingers
catching tightly to the grass.





Dilemma

I sit in front of the tv
Not really watching
My thoughts
suspended in mid-air, awaiting
the decision that should be
made.

Do I dare to
contaminate
this one good post with
my own thoughts to
this poem

or should I submit
to the lack of capability
of that proper
expression
of words that should
conclude my
limited emotions

Is there a conflict
of interest
in watching cartoons
and trying to
write a
poem

what constitutes
intelligence

or the lack of it?

not forgetting that the
intention of this was to
add intelligently some
comments
to the very nice poem

but I fail.

Comments on "Cross-Legged on the Grass - Ana Garza"

 

Blogger Botak Chin complained! (Friday, March 18, 2005 2:24:00 am) : 

HALO is good !
HALO is fun !
HALO Dilemma

we sat in front of the tv
was really watching mikie
he had tried to be silly
and I bombed him real quickly.

dare I contemplate a frag
to kill this silly old drag

I should have given in,
now due to hiri-kiri-ing
it is utmost depression
waiting my life extension

is there a conflict of interest
yes..health pack here, i take a rest

I dont need a good kill
just for the lack of thrill
the intent of this game
is to kill or you shame

but I fail.

 

post a comment

Neko