A billion people died on the news tonight/But not so many cried at the terrible sight/ Well mama said/
It's just make believe/You can't believe everything you see/ So baby close your eyes to the lullabies/On the news tonight

Monday, June 19, 2006

I remember you, do you remember me?



I once had a friend. I don't get to see her often, and every now and then I think of her, and wonder how my life would have went if she had still been my friend. She would have given me good balanced sane advice, encouraged me to go for my insane passions, and given me a listening ear. She would have talked me out of my fleeting but horrible moments of sin, and gave me a shoulder to cry on.

She would have understood, and if she didn't, she would have silently comforted when it was needed, or would have given advice when I asked.

I miss her.

But I thank God for her. I thank God that she's still alive and well, and that she's still has her mind. I thank God that there are spiritually strong friends around her that keep a constant watch on her. I thank God that she, albeit her strong stubborness, knows what is important in her life.

I thank God that I once had the privilege of her friendship.



I once had a friend. He meant the world to me, and I thought the world of him and his numerous talents.

I used to ponder what my life would be now with him by my side. Would I have tread on this path? I would have been more successful for his sake, and I am sorry that I am unable to fulfill your dream.

The dreams we had talked about when we were young.

If I had the money, I would send you to that school, and never tell you it was me. I would pay for you to exhibit your works, because the world needs to see the greatness of your God-given talent. But I would have wanted you to be rejected a few times, to have struggled for a while, so that you would be a better person.

We were young, and now we are adults. I was 16, and now I am 23.

Time has flown.

I know you had chosen me out of your life, perhaps I didn't allow you to be what you wanted to in JC. I respected your choice, and still do. I remember our discussions on God now, and wonder how you are doing in your walk with God. I wonder about your parents, your strong father who loves your mother who cried over your condition. I had been blessed with no long-term medical ailment, and I cannot say for sure that I understand what you were going though totally. I remember reading up on it, and was relieved that it was not a life-threatening condition although I was aghast to read that there was no total cure for it.

Now, I ponder whether you remember me, our times together. I remember our favourite wontonmee stall, that we'll both order pepsi, that we'll both see who says grace first.

I thank God for you, that I was your friend, the memories that I'll hold dear to me. I'll tell my children that I once had such a friend, and I'll be proud of it.



Both of you remind me that I have to cherish my friends, and keep them closer to me. Especially those that I know care, but have not kept in contact with.

I will seek them out.

Comments on "I remember you, do you remember me?"

 

post a comment

Neko